Saturday, February 05, 2005


I had the privilege of attending a Khmer wedding. One of my students, Manong (the groom), got married the first week of January. The wedding began early in the morning with the groom and all the guests walking from the church to the house of the bride's parents to offer them gifts of fruit, water and snacks as part of a dowry for their daughter's hand in marriage. Afterward, the groom and guests returned to the church where the bride was waiting. She was then presented to him dressed in gold from head to foot. She was beautiful! The guests marched into the church following the bride and groom. Each guest carried a basket of fruit or water that the groom had prepared in advance. We laid the offerings on a mat at the altar and returned to our seats. The first ceremony lasted approximately thirty minutes and was followed by a meal. The bride, groom, bridesmaids and groomsmen changed costumes 5 to 8 times during the course of the day. Unfortunately, I was not fast enough to take pictures of the bridal party in every different costume. I only have pictures of them dressed in white. After breakfast there was a second ceremony followed by another 3 course meal. It was a lovely event. I was honored to attend! Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home